Friday, September 10, 2010

The life and times of Elder Richards

Hello One and All,

Well this week has been an eventful week to say the least. One of the Elders in my bedroom and his companion (who are going to Kennewick as well) we are all very good friends. His family is up in Riverton and very close. His mom and sister have practically adopted the rest of us and it is very nice. We know they love us. They correspond with each of us regularly, makes one feel good.

He has been quite ill for the last 2 weeks or so. Throwing up and going to the sick bay and repeating the process over and over. So we've all been tag teaming and staying with him in the bedroom so his companion wouldn't miss so much class. So that's been ...fun I guess. Anywho, he seems to be all over it now, so that is good. Another Elder went in for surgery today to get his tonsils and something else removed. Apparently they were so large that they were causing him to have sleep apnea. His companion says the procedure went well, so he's going to stay in the hospital tonight and then come back "home" (to the MTC) tomorrow. After the weekend he'll go to the sick bay where he will stay for a little while. Last night all the Elders in the district gave him a blessing. That is one, Elder offered it and the rest of us participated. I have to say, it was one of the most powerful blessings I've ever been a part of.

Now onto the big news of the week. So last week I mentioned in the email how we were going to get a new district leader and I was praying to dodge that bullet. Well once again God has revealed his sense of humor. One of the Elders was made district leader and me and my companion were made Zone Leaders. I did not see that one coming. So this has been a very busy week for us. We had 2 new districts come in so we had to orientate 22 elders while we were still learning what to do.

Fun fact, my old roommate (the one in the single room last year) is now in my zone, so that was neat. I've also seen another of my room mates around as well. So me and my companion have to go to different meetings, orientate new elders and sisters, plan zone activities, and maintain a general sense of order within the zone. The last one includes patrolling the residence halls. This is particularly challenging because we now have districts on the top floor with us, on the third floor, and the basement; and we have to go check on everyone every night. It's all right, I really enjoy the opportunity to get to know everyone and be a source of advice and help to them.

Thanks everyone for the mail. Mom, I got the package. Thanks very much. I especially loved the pictures, that was way awesome. All of my roommates were way excited to see pictures of my friends and family. Awesome wedding dress Whit. Mike thanks so much for the kids' card, it's the envy of the district. Eric mom says you're doing well, that's good. I hope all of y'all are doing well. I am not 100% whole right now, but I feel just fine enough. It doesn't detract from my learning that is.

Oh also mom, I'm assuming that was you that got in contact with Andrew and told him about dear elder because I got one from him the other day. Thanks very much. If you could let him know through email for me that I am allowed to respond it will just take a little longer because of snail mail. So just let him know a letter's going to be going his way soon. Um ...I think I've touched on everything. Hopefully everyone has gotten the letters that I have sent. Thank you everyone for your mail, prayers and support. It means the world to me. I love you all and pray for you daily.

Love,
Elder Richards

No comments:

Post a Comment