Monday, January 24, 2011

Oregon State of Mind

So life in the field continues to be good. Thanks everyone who wrote for the awesome letters. So I'm writing on Monday this week because our Pday got moved around for some kind of Zone Leader Conference or something, anywho it'll be back to normal Tuesdays next week. DQ Monday just doesn't roll of the tongue like Tuesday...but that's all right! Speaking of the random ridiculousness of Elders, DQ Tuesdays have led to good Elders Buchanan and Yamada are teaching who we call DQ Girl, the girl on staff every time we go in. She even came to a baptism and everything.

This week has been a good week for us in Boardman/Irrigon. Two of the investigators and their kids and cousin came to church again which was way cool. I translated the whole meeting which I was rather proud of. And it was a regular talk meeting. I had to paraphrase a lot of stories and scriptures, but I got through it and they said they could understand me and enjoyed the meeting. Another cool thing we had happen with them is that they have a wedding date now, so we just need to go and get them a license and we'll be good to go. They'll be getting married on the 12th, a cool tidbit is that they will be the opening act to the High Priests Valentines Sweet Heart Dinner. So that'll be way cool. Then we'll try to get them baptized the next day on the 13th. Hurray progress! I really hope I'll be here for one more transfer so I can see that happen. Transfer calls come in on the 5th.

We also had our missionary potluck dinner this week. It wasn't the biggest turn out we've ever had but it was really good. Everyone had a fun time, Leonardo and his family were there. The members were real nice to them, and everyone stayed afterwards and chatted, which never happens. It was a lot of fun. Afterwards we went over to see a recent convert and her son's place and visited with them. Her son has become inactive because of his slightly goth girlfriend and it's been a big cause of stress for her. But through friendly bullying we got him to sacrament yesterday which was way awesome. We're really making progress with the members.

We went to that bible class as well. It was ok I guess. The preacher had a few ideas that weren't exactly right, but he was a nice guy and shared some good thoughts. Afterwards a lady gave me and Sauceda a DVD with Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith on it. We were a little apprehensive about it for fear of anti propaganda. It started out neutral enough, then got progressively more and more biased against the Mormons. It got more and more offensive and then when it started going into the temple ceremonies we took it out and threw it away. We haven't met with the lady since then, but when we do I'm sure we'll have a chat with her about it. But whatever, there wouldn't be such hateful opposition if the church weren't true.

I had some bike troubles this week. One day I noticed that my left peddle was crooked so I got a hold of a wrench and unscrewed it, when I went to screw it back in right I discovered that the slots for the screw were completely smooth. So today I'll be taking it in to the bike shop to see how much it'll cost. They've told me that labor is free for the missionaries since we provide so much business for them. So if I don't need any new parts it'll be a no problem fix. We had a specialized training with President and his wife on Friday which was way cool. They're such awesome people. Well, I think I'll wrap things up for the week, but I love yall and appreciate your letters and support. The Church is True.

No comments:

Post a Comment