Tuesday, February 1, 2011

6 months in the field...

So yes, Friday is my 6 months. Crazy. I feel like I haven't been out that long, but at the same time I feel like I've been out here forever! But not a bad kind of forever so it's all good. I have the tie all picked out to burn, as per tradition. It's a really ugly one I found in a free box at the MTC, I've been saving it just for this.

Last night I had an exchange with Elder Hankins the district leader. It went really good, we had a lot of work and appointments lined up for it so it was a really good day number wise. After district meeting and lunch we (Hankins and me) went to one of my investigators Mike and changed a tire for him, then we went back to the house to shower. We had several lessons that went good. After our last lesson of the night we got a call from a recent convert asking us to come give her aunt a blessing. We've been teaching her aunt, she's the one who invited us to the bible class a few weeks back, real nice lady. Real quick side note: After the minister gave us the DVDs we watched them and they were super anti Mormon. We told her about it and then asked her not to tell her aunt. Well she told her aunt and she went down to the bible class and just tore into this guy yelled at him, cussed him out, how dare he do that to boys that she invited, so on and so forth. I felt bad that we messed up her relationship with her pastor, but at the same time I was kind of touched that she stood up for us to that degree. So we gave her the blessing (she was having panic attacks and freaking out) and she calmed down real quick. Then we got to talking about the situation with her pastor, she says she thinks she wants to switch to our church now because she has no respect for him. So yeah, new convert perhaps.

Last Pday we hiked the Butte, which is this "mountain" in Hermiston. It was a lot of fun and we got some really great pictures, but unfortunately I didn't have my camera on me. We got to the top of this one craggy outgrowth thing and sang a bunch of hymns up there really loudly and other people hiking looked at us like we were crazy. Not to mention we were all matching with the zone tshirts we had just gotten that day. It was a lot of fun.

A recent addition to the mission work out here: texting. So yeah, I don't want to sound as though I'm gloating or anything dad, but the mission wants us texting. And so far it's proved to be a really valuable and useful tool. It actually really helps a lot.

We're in the process of getting a Spanish couple we teach married. Then they can get baptized. It's customary for the elders to buy the wedding licence between the two of them for poor families. So we went into the court house the other day to ask about where we could get one. The receptionist gave us the hardest look, and kept looking back and forth between the two of us. We didn't correct her, it was pretty funny. The members got a big kick out of it.

Some more exciting news, we're going to be forming a Spanish group in Boardman in the next couple months. That will make the Spanish work so much easier, because we (or whichever missionaries will be here at the time) won't have to send our investigators off to Hermiston and hope they get there.

In regards to President and Sister Greer. They are both such awesome people. And super super kind. They're from Arizona, President Greer has a law firm back there that he is away from currently. I don't know, they're just really good people. Sister Greer is really funny. A little while ago I completely lost my voice so Sauceda called her to let her know that we were only going to go to appointments we already had scheduled that day (fortunately we had a lot). She was trying to explain to Sauceda what a lozenge was, but he didn't know the word so she had him give the phone to me. I say hello sister Greer and she just busts out laughing and manages to say between fits of laughter "You sound terrible!!" I thanked her for her vote of confidence and she laughed even harder. Really good people.

Well I think that does it for me, transfer calls come in this Saturday so next week we'll see where I'm writing from. I'm thinking either here or Vancouver. That's my guess. I hope here though. We did our transfer predictions at district meeting yesterday, there was a decent amount that thought I would stay. Anywho, the church is true and I love yall very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment