Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Beautiful Vancouver Summer




Well today is a balmy summer day in Vancouver, we're reaching mid seventies today probably. Just thought I'd toss that in for all you folks enjoying Texas life right now. Another one of the fun things we have to enjoy this time of year is that Blackberries are ripening all over the side of the roads. It is awesome! Makes for a nice snack while tracting. Also the package came in on Wednesday, thank you very much for that mom and sister schaerrer. The book of notes from family and friends was especially enjoyable. Out of all the notes (children's scribblings included) the one I spent the longest time trying to decipher was dad's. And I thought my chicken scratch was bad....

So we had a very good week for the work. We got four new investigators through our area book efforts, with several more on the way. This week (Wednesday and Thursday) we'll be hosting a mini missionary, so that should be fun and exciting. He's a priest in our branch and is a pretty cool kid, so it should be fun.

One really cool thing we got to participate in was we sat in on an interview with our investigator Jose and one of the mission president's councilors. We were all pretty nervous going into it, (Jose, and President Hartley included). But it turned out to be a wonderful experience for everyone. I am blown away by Jose's desire to make right his mistakes. He is truly repentant and is working toward his goal of baptism. I say his goal because that is what he wants for himself, a chance to become part of the truth, his testimony is awesome and I am always glad that I get the opportunity to work with him.

One of the benefits I enjoy most out of working with a white companion is that it allows me to use my Spanish a lot more. Often times when working with a native speaker it is easy for them to do most of the talking, but with a greeny, I get to step up and talk. I like it.

In the latest mission news letter I saw that 4 of the people that I have worked with in the past have been baptized now. 3 of them back in Basin City, and one of them in Boardman. I was especially excited to learn about Jaenine back in Boardman because I had worked with her for so long. She really wanted to be baptized but she just couldn't kick smoking. Her health was steadily declining when I left and that was a story that I always wondered about. But she finally made it. I was so happy to find out. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to work and lay the foundation for other missionaries. That's what the work is all about, sometimes we reap, and sometimes we sew.

Well my time is about up, thanks everyone for your love and support. Remember siblings, I welcome any and all mail computer or other wise.

Love,
Elder Richards

p.s. yes mom, that was the right sweater, thanks very much. It always was my favorite and now I don't want to take it off when it's time to go out to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment