Monday, April 19, 2010

A Good Omen To Be Sure...


This morning did not get off to the best start. Last night I could not sleep, but eventually I passed out in the wee hours of the morning. Then I had my alarm set for 6 am so I would have plenty of time to shower and have a banquet breakfast at the Canon Center before my 8 o'clock New Testament test. Well, I slept in and woke up a bit after 7. So I hurriedly got dressed and ran out the door with out my refreshing morning shower. Never a fun way to start the day contrary to what I had planned. The past couple of days it has warmed up, it feels like winter is finally over and spring has arrived. Sunshine, warmth, the works. Well as I walk to campus I see something that I had forgotten about, something I had not seen since my time here last summer. A hot air balloon. As I looked up at it floating blissfully through the sky I was instantly transported back to summer term. When I would see the same balloon each morning during my walk to campus. Back when life was relaxed, everything was simpler, and there was hardly a care in the world. While gazing at this peaceful transport, all my stress and cares are washed away and I feel carefree and happy. A good example of the use of classical omens is in the 1962 film The 300 Spartans (an extremely family friendly version of the story of Leonidas and his army). They ask the oracle to look for an omen of how their battle will turn out. The oracle speaks of hawks and eagles, and of how it is a good omen. Well he might have been mistaken, but I feel this balloon is a good omen for me. I'll be just fine, just like I was in summer term.

No comments:

Post a Comment