Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Stage vs The Screen

Ladies and gentlemen, prepare for the smack down of the century. In one corner we have the age old classic, the high societies representative, Theater! And in the other corner, we have the current people's champ, the fighter for the common man, Movies! Now, these two brothers have been at it since the first movin' picture. Theater has a few more centuries under its belt than film does, but that's not to say it is superior. Now then, onto business. I am not here to talk about which of the two I say is better, that is a can of worms I do not want to open. I will just say, watching a good movie, and a good play both rock. Now then, that being said, I prefer to work in film. Over this semester I have been involved in both, and I can definitely say that I prefer working in film. At this point I am talking about working in them as an actor, I won't get into other jobs. I love acting in both mediums, but I prefer the camera to the crowd. Don't get me wrong, nothing can beat the rush you get when you act in front of a crowd, but if you are having an off day it is nice to have the multiple chances that the camera guarantees. I played the part of a spider in the play and the part of a regular guy in the two short films I was in. I do love working on a stage, but the spontaneity that the camera allows is wonderful. Do a little something different each time, crack jokes and practice in between takes. Love it. This morning we were finishing shooting for a project, and we filmed the beginning (BUT THAT'S BACKWARDS!!) Calm down it's OK, they edit it so it is right. So the guy playing the boss walks out and tells the other character that he did not get the job, and that I did. The other character then with a look of absolute pure disgust gets on his skateboard and slowly glides away, all while staring us down. For the life of me I could not stop laughing. It took every ounce of muscle control to keep from smiling and laughing, and even still, after I post the link to the video, I'm sure I'll still be smiling and cracking up in the final product. You don't generally have moments like that in plays, at least with my experience. Anywho, I have lost track of what I was even saying, and getting at. I like making moves.
The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment