Friday, May 7, 2010

My Top Ten Movies From College

The following movies are ten of my favorites from my time at college. They are in no particular order. Not all were new, some had been out for a few years, they just had good viewing experiences while I was out there. Some of them are actually lousy movies, but they were viewed under the right circumstances. So without further ado, my top 10 college experience flicks:


1. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS


What more need be said? This movie is absolutely amazing. Perfect down to the last detail. Quite possibly my favorite movie of 2009. I saw it four times in the dollar theater. Great movie, 'nuff said.


2. DISTRICT 9

Now then, this movie is fantastic. It is low budget, almost indie feeling, but sooo good. Over summer term I went with my roommate Joe, and our friend Omar and his cousins to go see this at midnight when it first came out. I absolutely loved this movie. Something that made it a bit more powerful for me was that earlier that evening my dad had called to announce that he had cancer. So I was a little shaken up at the time and watching the movie's protagonist literally deteriorate and fall apart over the course of the movie was very upsetting to me at the time. Also, before hand something extremely funny happened. Since this movie is rated R every trailer was for some horrible rated R horror movie. So by the end of the trailers everyone in my group was understandably shaken. Omar, (a very large Mexican) turns to me and Joe and in a higher than normal voice says if we want we can come over to his apartment after the movie and watch something happy. Another great memory of this movie experience is that immediately after me and Joe went over to our friend Ellen's apartment for a 3 am french toast party. It was way fun.


3. BOONDOCK SAINTS II ALL SAINTS DAY

The Boondock Saints is a great movie. This sequel cannot hold a candle to it, but it is still good. Also it features one of my favorite movie monologues in it. I would post it but the language is a bit too adult for this family read blog. Another great thing about it, I got to watch it with my good friend Mark.


4. ALICE IN WONDERLAND

Everyone and their grandmother knows I love Alice in Wonderland. This is referring to the new Tim Burton adaptation. I went to the midnight showing with my dear friend Ellen and some of her roommates. We ended up having to sit in the front row due to the packed nature of the theater, and so a lot of the 3d was lost on us as it was cast out over our heads. But it was still fun. A night out with Ellen is always an enjoyable night out.


5. HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE

This was another midnight showing attendance. I put it in the list mainly because of the fun time that was had waiting in line. I went with my roommate Joe and our neighbor who sadly I can not think of his name at the moment. Anywho, we ended up having to wait in line for a few hours before hand but it was still incredibly fun. Just standing out in the chilly night air and cracking jokes. Then the movie itself was very good, (in my opinion the best book interpretation thus far in the series). Afterwards I got home at 3ish and had to write a paper that was due that morning, got it in no problem. Another fun thing is before leaving me and Joe watched all manner of fan made Harry Potter spoofs on YouTube, very humorous.


6. ZOMBIELAND

Zombie movies really only hold a sort of sick fascination for me. I watch them, but then afterwards I usually regret watching them simply because they ultimately make you feel bad at the end when everyone dies. Well, this is not only a great zombie movie, but undoubtedly one of my favorite movies. It is safe to say that this is the only feel good zombie movie out there currently. Do zombies eat people? Yes. Are there blood and guts? Yes. Is there a heart warming storyline that makes you smile and feel good? YES. I love this movie, I watched it with my good buddy Mark, go check it out.


7. TWILIGHT

"WHAT?! Stephen, surely Twilight didn't make your list of favorite movies at college?!" Well anonymous reader, it is true, Twilight made the list. I had seen this once before leaving for school and absolutely hated it. At school I saw it two more times. Once with my good friend Kyrie and some of her guy friends, and then again with my friend Rose and Matt Morgan. This movie, if watched with the right funny people, is phenomenal. Nothing is quite as funny as popping in this cheesy poorly made movie, kicking back, and just ripping into it. I highly recommend getting together with some friends and riffing this thing. You won't regret it.


8. 300

Now then, this movie was already one of my favorites before I left for school. It is just an all around good movie. The reason it made the list is because one evening I was hanging out at my friends' Ellen and Haley's apartment. Ellen was doing homework in her room I think, so me and Haley were chilling out in the living room. One of her roommate's Mac was out and so we looked through her iTunes movies to see if there was anything good. She had 300 and Haley had not seen it, so we decided to watch it. It was just a very nice hour and a half cuddling on the coach with my very good friend Haley, enjoying a very good movie 300. Happy memories.


9. ADVENTURELAND

This movie is pretty decent. It's all about this kid and his summer job before going off to college and all the adventures that happen as a result. The movie isn't named after his adventures, he works at an amusement park called Adventureland. Anyway, I watched this movie on line and then when it ended it was snowing outside. It was about 2 in the morning at this point. It was so quiet and beautiful and peaceful. The movie made me feel good and nostalgic, and then outside was just gorgeous. So me and my roommate Drew and our good friend Brittany ran around outside and played in the snow for an hour or so. It was just a good memory.


10. BANDSLAM

This movie is only so-so. The reason it made the list is because I watched it with my friends Ellen, Haley, and Brian. So the company was good. It also made the list because it has the single greatest kiss scene in all of cinematic history. Seriously, thank you very much Haley, for showing this to me, it was amazing.

HONORABLE MENTION:
Here are some movies that just barely didn't make the list for one reason or another but I feel still deserve to be mentioned:
Mr. Dungbeatle=an amazing movie my film professor made.
The Complete Star Wars saga=me and my friends introduced them to Jessica who had never seen them.
How To Train Your Dragon=great movie, go check it out.
The Fantastic Mr. Fox=Wes Anderson's debut animation film, golden success.



So there you have it. Each movie listed was filled with great memories from college that I will cherish for years to come. Some movies on the list are not for the entire family, but they're all definitely worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment