Friday, January 15, 2010

Consider a moment the world a rat lives in...

When you meet some people, right off the bat you don't care for them. You can't really explain it, but you do not like them. I am a pretty easy going person who is hard to offend, but some people just rub me the wrong way. Last night a lady friend was trying to figure out why I did not care for a guy that her and her roommates are friends with. I told her I just did not like him, but that was not good enough for her, so I showed her a clip of Inglourious Basterds to see if that would help:

Landa: Now if one were to determine what attribute the German people share with a beast, it would be the cunning and the predatory instinct of a hawk. But if one were to determine what attributes the Jews share with a beast, it would be that of the rat. The Fuhrer and Goebbels' propaganda have said pretty much the same thing. But where our conclusions differ, is I don't consider the comparison an insult. Consider a moment, the world a rat lives in, it is a hostile world indeed? If a rat were to scamper through your front door right now, would you greet it with hostility?
LaPadite: I suppose I would.
Landa: Has the rat ever done anything to you to create this animosity you feel toward them?
LaPadite: Rats spread diseases, they bite people.
Landa: Rats were the cause of the bubonic plague but that was some time ago. I propose to you any disease a rat could spread a squirrel could equally carry, would you agree?
LaPadite: Oui.
Landa: Yet I assume you do not share the same animosity with squirrels that you do with rats, do you?
LaPadite: No.
Landa: Yet they're both rodents, are they not? And except for the tail they even rather look alike don't they?
LaPadite: It's an interesting thought Colonel.
Landa: How ever interesting as a thought may be it makes not one bit of difference to how you feel. If a rat were to walk in here right now as I were talking, would you greet it with a saucer of your delicious milk?
LaPadite: Probably not.
Landa: I didn't think so. You don't like them. You don't really know why you don't like them, all you know is you find them repulsive.

The girl in question did not find this to be a satisfactory answer to her inquiry. But I don't know what else to tell her. My roommate does not like him out of loyalty to me, or at least that is how it started, and I just don't care for him. I am sure he is a decent enough fellow, but I am not interested in learning so. And so that is my explanation. Maybe I am seeing through unbiased eyes...

3 comments:

  1. Makes sense. I suppose. Wish it weren't so. But it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get it. There are just some people who give off a bad first impression. But interestingly ...if you go out of your way to try to get to know them, befriend them, or do something nice for them, often over time, that first impression changes for the better. As an experiment ...give it a try and let me know what happens.

    ReplyDelete