Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Third Try's the Charm

My roommate Drew and I have decided to go on a ton of dates this semester, and have hit the ground running. Last night was my third of the semester. But, it was almost the date that was not, allow me to explain:
So, the plan was to have a big five couple game night at our apartment last night. Easy enough yeah? Well I did not know who I would ask and in the end it became decided that I would ask out this very attractive girl in my lady friends' ward. I don't know her, and she does not know me so it was a bit awkward calling her and asking her out. But I manned up and did and she said yes. Awesome, everything is all ready right? Wrong! The next day she calls me and is extremely apologetic, but she forgot that she was going out of town and would not be back until late Monday night, thus unable to attend. But she wants a rain check date, and she'll get it, so no worries. So I go and grab the ward directory and start looking for a back up date. I decide on this girl Natalie who is pretty cool, I don't really know her all that well but hey, this is BYU and Mormon girls will say yes to a first date every time. So I call her up and ask her out, she sounds excited and says yes. OK, everything is fixed yes? No! The next day (Sunday) I don't see her at church, I then get a call from her saying she is sick and won't be able to make it. Dadgummit! OK, so Monday we have a big FHE scavenger hunt activity during the day, and Wittnee (the "mom" of my group) is in the car I go in. I am the "dad" of our group so I am sure I will get to know her over the course of the semester, plus she seems pretty cool. So after the activity I call her up and ask her out, and she sounds excited and says yes. So we're good right? Wrong! Keep in mind I asked her out a few hours before the date, pretty last minute. So the time arrives for the date to start. Me and Drew don't want to leave and get our dates yet because if people arrive there won't be anyone to let them in. So we wait and the first couple arrives, (Ethan and Sara). At this point Drew leaves to get his date and I wait for one more couple to arrive before I leave. Another couple gets there and I leave. I get to Wit's apartment and knock, her roommate answers the door. I ask if Wittnee is there and she says "No she's not here, but I'll tell her you came by," in a thick south American accent. Not there?? Whaaaaaaa? I then proceed to go back to my apartment and find everyone there (Drew and Sasha, Kim and Travis, Brad and Brittany, Ethan and Sara). They all know the troubles I had been going through with getting a date. So I walk in and they all kind of look at me funny because I'm by myself and with my face red from embarrassment I say, "She wasn't home!" Which is met with a loud chorus of Oooooooooh's and awwwwwww's and what?!'s and so on. And I tell them to wait till I call her. I get her machine, again everyone is all O's and Aw's. Already thoroughly embarrassed I go and bang on my other roommate's door (Owen) and tell him he's my date till we hear from Wit. So he reluctantly comes out and we start playing Nurts. After a few rounds I get a call from Wittnee who it turned out was at the Martin Luther King Jr. ceremony on campus that ended up running long. She was extremely sorry that it had happened and asked if she should still come over, I told her absolutely and after about ten minutes she got there and the date took off.
We played a few more rounds of Nurts, then switched to Egyptian Rat Screw, and then closed the evening playing an application Drew had on his iTouch called Truth or Dare. The date was extremely awesome and fun. Everyone had a great time. Some of the dares: Brittany had to eat a heaping spoonful of mayonnaise, Travis and Brad had to do lots of vaguely homosexual things (slow dance and such), I had to go upstairs knock on the door and profess my love to whoever answered the door, and Brad had to do the macarana for whoever answered another door. Then we finished up and we all walked our dates home. It was incredibly fun!

2 comments:

  1. awww there's my lil engine that could-this girls gotta be cool with a name like that-even though she spells it WAY to weird for my tastes

    ReplyDelete
  2. See? It pays to be persistent! A shining example to the fameous words of Churchhill: Never, never, never give up!!!

    ReplyDelete